Meru: Governor Mwangaza Extends an Olive Branch to All MCAs

She was given a lifeline after orders blocking senate decision to impeach her were extended until March this year.

Jan 9, 2025 - 16:40
 0  236
Meru: Governor Mwangaza Extends an Olive Branch to All MCAs
Meru Governor Kawira Mwangaza addressing journalists in her residence Thursday. Photo/Dennis Dibondo

By Dennis Dibondo

Meru Governor Kawira Mwangaza has said she is ready to work with all Meru Members of County Assembly (MCAs).

The governor who was impeached by the assembly and later the senate last year filed a case in court challenging the decision to oust her as governor.

She was given a lifeline after orders blocking senate decision to impeach her were extended until March this year.

In bid to extend an olive branch the county boss said she had invited all 69 MCAs, Meru speaker Ayub Bundi together with his county executive committees, county secretary Kiambi Atheru and the deputy governor in a meeting on Thursday.

Mwangaza, however, said she was ready to work with the MCAs in the new year.

"I'm ready to bring peace, Mathew 5:9 says blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called sons of God, so this year am willing and ready to bring peace in Meru County we are not ready for unnecessary wars," Mwangaza said.

She said for Meru to get development, all leaders must work together irrespective of their political differences.

The County boss said it was unfortunate the deputy governor Mutuma M'ithinkia failed to attend today's meeting despite being called.

"He has failed to attend. It is not the first time. He has missed 14 cabinet meetings, including today. It is very unfortunate, and his excuses is that he is not invited.

Today, I personally called him, but he did not answer, and I sent a message, and he did not respond," Mwangaza said.

She spoke at the governor's residence in Meru town on Thursday.

She pinpointed that the deputy governor residence was just a few meters from where she convened the meeting.

The deputy governor Mutuma M'ithinkia on Wednesday had stated that he will not attend the meeting as he was fearing for his security.

He said his body guard had been withdrawn, and therefore, his life is in danger as he did not have enough security.

But Mwangaza denied the allegations saying her deputy was insincere about his security and has been attending several meetings and mudslinging her administration.

"Why does his life become in danger when it comes to attending cabinet meetings? We will not accept people who are not working, and yet they are being paid," Mwangaza said.

She said she might soon consider withdrawing salaries for her deputy as he has been deserting his duties as deputy.

Out of the 69 MCAS 21 showed up while 48 failed to attend the meeting,  "I will convene another meeting again next week to invite all leaders who didn't manage to attend today my reconciliation efforts" Mwangaza said. 

What's Your Reaction?

like

dislike

love

funny

angry

sad

wow